Varny Ganesalingam is a therapeutically qualified Optometrist, specialising in complex contact lens fitting and OrthoK (Orthokeratology).
Varny first pursued a career in medical research, completing a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at the University of Otago. She majored in Anatomy and Biochemistry and while growing her interest in this field realised her desire to ultimately work in primary health care. Her decision to pursue a career in Optometry fulfilled her passion for problem solving as well as caring for the well-being of others.
Upon graduating from the University of Auckland with a Bachelor of Optometry with Honours, Varny took the opportunity to join the team at Mortimer Hirst. As well as conducting general optometric services such as eye examinations, visual screening and children’s vision, Varny specialises in Keratoconus, OrthoK (Orthokeratology), complex contact lens fitting and trouble-shooting.
Varny has been awarded several scholarships, including attending the State University of New York College of Optometry in 2011 to further study contact lens practice and ocular therapeutics.
She is involved with the Pharmacy Society of New Zealand’s EVOLVE programme, which teaches pharmacy interns about their role in managing eye disease.
Varny is also involved with the Optometry Futures Forum, made up of members of the New Zealand Association of Optometrists who drive a vision for the future of the profession.
Varny is a pre-market evaluator of contact lenses for Coopervision, Baush & Lomb and Johnson & Johnson. She has spoken on behalf of Johnson & Johnson nationally and internationally. She has presented at New Zealand conferences and trade fairs, reviewed conferences for an industry publication and is an Eye Institute Accredited Care Provider.
With a particular interest in anterior eye disease and ocular therapeutics, Varny has recently embarked on a Masters Research Project looking at ocular surface inflammation through the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Auckland.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (University of Otago): 2003-2005
- Bachelor of Optometry with Honours (University of Auckland): 2006-2009
- Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Agent Endorsement: 2010-Present
- Industry Scholarship Recipient: 2008-2009
- Pre-market contact lens evaluator for Coopervision, Baush & Lomb and Johnson & Johnson: 2010-Present
- Guest speaker for Johnson and Johnson - 1 Day Moist for Astigmatism Contact Lens Launch: 2011
- Guest at the Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Contact Lens Leaders’ Summit (Beijing, China): 2011
- State University of New York Scholarship Recipient: 2011
- Corneal and Contact Lens society Conference Review for NZ Optics Magazine: 2011 – 2013
- Eye Institute Accredited Care Provider 2011 - Present
- Guest speaker at VisioNZ Conference and Trade Fair: 2012
- EVOLVE Pharmacy Intern Programme - Eye Disease Facilitator: 2012 - 2013
- Appointed to the New Zealand Association of Optometrists, Optometry Futures Forum: 2013
- Pursuing a Master of Health Science in Ophthalmology:
- 2014-2016 Invited to write a column on eye health for Ponsonby News: 2015
Recommended web sites
Mortimer Hirst’s web site.
Orthokeratology web site.
GrantWatters' web site.
Kerry Atkinson's web site.
Emilie Langley's web site.
Aki Gokul's web site.